Tuesday 26 February 2013

Tales of Bondi, Beaches and Bathtubs


Yet another belated blog post. I really do want to write all these episodes and adventures down, my own private journal writing has been equally as sporadic and lacking. It's not that I think I'll forget these experiences, but there is something about the written word that can perhaps at times capture more than just pictures – despite the age old adage.
So here are the tales of my final week in fair Sydney.
I decided for the last week to move to Bondi Beach, some good friends that I'd made at Kings Cross had moved there a few weeks prior and they had been pestering myself, amongst others, to come and join them. So with our old hostel rapidly emptying of the long termers, I thought I'd take them up on the idea, after all who would really want to pass up the opportunity to live at one of the world's most iconic beaches.

The day I arrived the sun was shining beautifully and the beach looked like so many idyllic postcards. After depositing my rather weighty bags at the hostel, bags that would be decidedly slimmed down before I left for Melbourne, I sauntered down to the beach and enjoyed an afternoon of swimming, sun-bathing and reading a book – perfection. Perfection until l got back to discover that either I hadn't applied enough suncream or that it hadn't worked, I was glowing, and not in that healthy way. Though it did soon turn to tan so it wasn't so disastrous I guess.
 
However, my dreams of a week of sun and sea were somewhat quashed by the unpredictable Sydney weather, and as the pictures above and below suggest, the weather really did change quite rapidly from one day to the next. But a little rain and cloud between friends is nothing, and after my old friends from the cross joined me at my backpackers we were soon up to our usual escapades.
 

The weather did fortunately pick up, meaning that I could cross off one more thing from my 'final things to do in Sydney' checklist: the Eastern Coastal Walk. A walk that began at Bondi and continues round the coast, past Tamarama, Bronte, Clovelly and Coogee beaches and, if you're feeling adventurous, round to Maroubra. I had some fabulous company on the walk in the form of some old friends from my Aberystwyth Uni days, the lovely Kay and Al. 
With packed lunches in our bags and suncream slathered on we set off. It was a sunny and warm day that offered glorious views as we walked along. We spotted all sorts of wild life and had fun clambering about in any rock pools we found, playing at children's parks and reading fun facts that the helpful tourist information signs provided us. As we came upon Clovelly it was decided that a lunch break was in order, we found a good spot in the shelter of some rocks and began to dine.
 
There were a number of seagulls nearby and one in particular seemed to take a real liking to us. He (I'm just guessing at a gender here) marched a perimeter a couple of feet from us, angrily squawking and scaring off any others that sought to get close. The message was clear: 'these humans and their food are mine, as soon as they drop some food that is'. It kept us fairly amused as we munched our grub.

The walk continued and many more beautiful beaches were seen. We found some great rock pools to explore, though the ocean did occasionally decide to lull us into false states of security and send freak waves to come and swamp our feet!
 
Another particularly memorable adventure of my time on Bondi was seeing the sunrise. Yep, 6am saw myself, Ryan and Charles (the other girls having apparently been impossible to wake up) setting out from the hostel clad in our swim wear with towels in hand. The beach was not nearly as quiet as we may have supposed; fitness classes, joggers and fellow swimmers were dotted about the place. Still, the boys set off for a run as I plodded to the space between the flags that denoted the safe spot to swim. Hoodies were removed and we cavorted into the ocean.
 
Surprisingly it wasn't as chilly as we may have supposed. The water was fairly calm and the sunrise was absolutely stunning. I'm so glad that i got to do this, and in the company of wonderful friends as well!


There are a few things that if you're in Sydney then you should probably do, one of them is almost certainly catch a show at the Opera House. Now I didn't go and see a big fancy show in the main theatre, mainly due to funds and a lack of interest in the shows playing that week (something to do should I return to Sydney maybe). However I did catch a performance in the studio...after treating myself to dinner and a scrumpy pudding at the Guylian cafe on the side of Circular Quay. (Chocolate sprinkles, whipped cream, hot chocolate, summer berry couli type thing, yogurt, then melted praline at the bottom = heaven for Keira!)
 
The studio had been transformed to a cabaret style theatre crossed with a circus, with small round tables and their chairs occupying one corner, chairs in a circle forming the ring, a central performance space, a piano at one side and another small stage in one corner. Dim lighting completed the atmosphere as we bustled into our spaces.
 
The show featured a contortionist squeezing himself through tennis rackets and dislocating limbs in a rather disturbing fashion, a hula hoop-er with an exuberant personality, a Freddie Mercury impersonator, a comedic cross dressing juggler and various acrobatics with some rather stunning/sexy performances – after all this was a burlesque and cabaret inspired circus show. The man in the full bathtub that emerged topless and in rather tight jeans spinning around and sending water about the place seemed rather popular...can't think why! (Pics from their web page)
 
Overall the acts were incredible, it was funny, sexy, fast paced and I don't think anyone in the audience stopped smiling and cheering throughout. I was not disappointed with my Sydney Opera House show choice.
Shortly after this I set off for Melbourne, but that's a tale for another blog. I loved my time at Bondi, living by the beach was amazing. The only down sides were that on a rainy day you weren't left with much to do, and getting to the city centre could be a bit off a mission. The night life was also a little more limited than life in the CBD, and especially compared to life on the Cross. But hey, sometimes you need a bit of peace and quiet and to by surrounded by the ocean, beautiful in all it's forms. It was a good way to wind down my trip to Sydney.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment